Skip to main content


"I Feel Like I was Living in a Dream World"
My exchange year is the best and most amazing experience of my life. There isn't a good
education system provided for the people in my home province Balochistan. I got to learn
English from English Access Micro-Scholarship Program. It's a State Department initiative
which focuses on the areas where there isn't much source for the students to learn English or
anything about the world.
I started in my town. I studied there for two and a half years. After graduating from Access,
 I became very interested to be an exchange student in the U.S., but having limited resources,
 it was hard for my parents to make my dream true. But sometimes, it's said "Dreams do come
 true, if you really want them to, one step at a time." So as the next step was to find out a
 scholarship program, in which my Access teachers from Gwadar, Balochistan, helped me a
 lot. So we found out about YES. I participated in the selection process. By the grace of God, I
was successful and here I am today done with my  successful U.S exchange year!

It's amazing how the time passed so fast, but when I close my eyes and remember those
 moments that I spent here, I feel that it was the most beneficial way to use my time. Even
 before going to US, in my little town of Gwada,r I was an active teenager volunteering in the
projects of UNDP and some other social organizations.
When I went to US, I had a lot of dreams. One of them was to work hard and make the most
of my year the best, because I knew that I might never be able to study in that way again. My
parents gave me the permission to study in the U.S. to increase my knowledge and skills. This
thing touched my heart, so I didn't let any of my time be wasted.
I got very near to my host family during the year. They were very understanding and helpful.
 Because of their support and help, I got courage in an unknown society which didn't
 remain unknown anymore, because I got so much involved with the community there
that I felt myself a part of it.
 Besides being good at school, I participated in community service, and became a junior leader
 in 4-H where I taught my cultural Balochi embroidery to the kids, I also became an active
volunteer in Key club. I received the presidential Volunteer Service Award, letter and pin. I
 participated in International Week of Education, got second place and won an iPod. But even
 after the contest, I didn't stop presenting my culture. I think Idid more than 22 presentations in
 different places presenting my culture and religion. As a Muslim student and wearing a scarf, I
 was always encouraged to maintain my cultural and religious beliefs by my host family, community
and school friends and teachers. That gave me more strength.
Then I got interested in Debate team at my high school. Every one said that's hard but I thought
 let's give it a try. And for making my English better, I thought it would be a good thing so I tried.
 In my first debate tournament, I got first place. Then we had many tournaments. I also did speech.
 I got 1st in debate and 2nd in speech for the district and got to go for the state's tournament. I got
 many trophies and awards form them as well. Because of my participation, I also got membership
 in American National Forensic League of Speech and for that I received an emerald pin too. I also
won the essay contest for Civic Education Workshop in Washington DC by American Councils. For
 the first time in seven months, I flew from Coquille, Oregon, to Washington, D.C. It was nothing less
 than amazing for me when I got to go to the State Department Headquarters and saw all the offices.
 It was even a bigger thing for me when I got to go in to the American Government Building and met
 Congress members and Senators. By the end of the year, I won the reflection esssay contest by
 AYUSA. 
What a reality! I feel like I was living in a dream world really. I had so many achievements, so
 many experiences, that I can never ever forget the year that I spent in USA.

Comments